Thursday 23 August 2012

Finale.

"Its time", I hear the voices speak to me. They are familiar.
Maybe because I spent twenty years in this prison.
They gave me lifetime, for what I know not. My hands were tender.
And mind timid. So, now with a black mask on my face
They cuff me one last time. I feel pleased and nervous.
When death lies a step away, fear is not instant. Excitement is.

Cuffing me softly, these familiar voices guide me to a room.
They say its my last bath, and so I believe. Uncovering my face
I find a mirror. The reflection is peculiar, like a little girl running with ponies.
I lived my life as if it was real. I turned all tricks, laid all my cards.
But this was my masterpiece. Once I ditched it all, to be alive
But now I wait for the final ushering. Oh this final glimpse. My only battle.

With my body still wet, they take me to the main room. A table, and one man.
Was he a scavenger or a cannibal I did not understand. The voices laid me down flat.
As I lay on my back, waiting for the quiet beast to prepare his needles.
The men fasten my buckles, the scavenger passes a smile. In this oblivion
I try and recall what brought me here. I didn't want to go back.
This was as peaceful as I ever felt. But I remember.

I murdered a child when I was five.
I slaughtered a laborer when I was ten.
I banished a father when I was thirteen.
I turned into a flesh-eating cannibal by sixteen.
By seventeen I has killed and fed on twenty men.
And it was twenty, when I tried to kill the only one I loved.

The crimes were clear, the punishment was just. I felt calmer as the time passed.
The scavenger turned into a priest, like the one from my dreams.
The voices took shape of all the men I loved. And with their hands
Farewelling through touch, I started anticipating those blissful needles.
I am faithful to this moment and sentence myself to death.
Of all the useless things I have done, this was most honest.

So, the priest smiles again, and kisses my forehead. Ready for the final baptization.
He rubs the vein on my arm and softly puts it inside. My skin permits
The soothing piercing oh the cold metal. I close my eyes, and feel every drop
Entering proudly, dutifully impressing their God. The needle stays in for long.
Few minutes pass, and my eyes remain shut. The air inside me is violet.
My favorite color. Marking its finale, I smile and surrender patiently.

1 comment: